2023 Home Remodel Design Trends: Innovative Ideas for Your Next Project
As we move further into 2023, homeowners are increasingly looking for innovative ways to update their living spaces. Home remodel design trends are constantly evolving, and keeping up with these changes can help you create a home that’s both stylish and functional. In this blog, we’ll explore some of the top design trends for 2023, and provide tips on how to incorporate them into your home remodeling project.
-Replacing a gray palette with warmer tones
-Brass is still trending
-Sustainable and eco-friendly materials
-Popular materials for countertops, flooring, and cabinetry
-The trend towards rounded and soft corners
Kitchen Remodel Trends
-Innovative kitchen layouts and designs
-Smart appliances and technology
-Storage solutions and organization
-Quartzite: A rising star in home design
Bathroom Remodel Trends
-Statement tiles and patterns
-Smart bathroom technology
Home Office Remodel Trends
-Creating a functional and comfortable home office
-Incorporating technology and connectivity
-Smart home systems and automation
Replacing a gray palette with warmer tones
For years, gray has been a popular choice in home design for its modern and minimalist appeal. However, as we move into 2023, there has been a noticeable shift away from gray palettes and towards warmer, more natural tones. These warmer hues evoke a sense of comfort, coziness, and connection to the earth, making them perfect for creating inviting and relaxing spaces.
One of the reasons for this shift in color preference is the increasing emphasis on wellness and self-care in our daily lives. Warm tones can help create a nurturing atmosphere that supports mental and emotional well-being, making them an ideal choice for homeowners looking to create a more restorative environment.
Here are some ways you can incorporate warmer tones into your home remodel:
- Wall Colors: Replace cool gray walls with warmer shades such as taupe, beige, or warm off-whites. These colors can serve as a neutral backdrop that still adds warmth and depth to your space. For a bolder statement, consider incorporating warm terracotta, deep mustard, or rich ochre as accent walls or in smaller rooms.
- Furniture and Upholstery: Choose furniture pieces with warm wood finishes like walnut, cherry, or mahogany. Upholstered items, such as sofas and chairs, can also be updated with warmer-toned fabrics in shades like rust, burnt orange, or warm earthy greens.
- Textiles and Decor: Incorporate warm-toned textiles, such as area rugs, throw blankets, and curtains, in shades like cinnamon, amber, or moss green. Decorative accents like throw pillows, artwork, and vases in warm colors can also help tie the room together and create a cohesive look.
- Kitchen and Bathroom Updates: Swap out gray cabinetry for warmer wood tones or consider painting existing cabinets in warm neutrals. In the bathroom, consider using warmer-toned tiles for the floor, shower, or backsplash to create a more inviting atmosphere.
- Lighting: Use warm-toned LED bulbs and fixtures to create a cozy ambiance throughout your home. This can help balance out cooler tones that may still exist in your space, making it feel more inviting and comfortable.
Every year, Pantone selects a Color of the Year, which reflects current design trends and has a significant impact on the colors used in interior design. For 2023, Pantone has chosen Viva Magenta. This hue represents vim and vigor and is perfect for creating a fresh, lively atmosphere in your home.
In addition to the Pantone Color of the Year, other trending colors for 2023 include earthy neutrals, deep blues, and warm greens. These colors can be used to create a soothing, calming environment or provide a bold, dramatic accent.
Incorporating vibrant color trends in your remodel
- When incorporating color trends into your home remodel, consider that these bold colors are trendy and as such, will eventually expire. We suggest that you use these colors for accent pieces such as pillows, throws, bedding, and accent pieces throughout your home. We do not suggest that you install cabinets, tile, or other more permanent features of your home unless you are looking for a maximalist style.
Brass is still trending
As homeowners embrace warmer tones and natural materials in their home designs, brass has maintained its popularity as a go-to choice for cabinet hardware, lighting fixtures, and faucets. The enduring appeal of brass can be attributed to its versatility, durability, and the warmth it brings to any space. Additionally, brass complements a wide range of design styles, from traditional to modern and everything in between.
One of the reasons brass has remained a popular choice is its ability to seamlessly blend with the current trend of warm and earthy color palettes. The golden hue of brass adds a touch of elegance and sophistication without being overpowering. It can serve as a statement piece or as a subtle accent, depending on the overall design and the specific application.
Mostly, the preference for brass in recent years has shifted towards brushed, matte, or unlacquered finishes. These finishes offer a more understated and contemporary look compared to the highly polished, reflective brass of the past. This modern take on brass provides an appealing balance between the material’s classic charm and today’s design sensibilities.
Here are some ways to incorporate brass into your home remodel:
- Cabinet Hardware
- Lighting Fixtures
- Faucets and Plumbing Fixtures
- Decorative Accents
Incorporating brass into your home remodel, especially in brushed, matte, or un-lacquered finishes, can help you achieve a warm, inviting, and timeless aesthetic. As you plan your next renovation project, consider using brass accents to enhance the overall design and create a space that feels both luxurious and welcoming.
Sustainable and eco-friendly materials
As sustainability becomes increasingly important, many homeowners are seeking eco-friendly materials for their remodels. Recycled and reclaimed materials are becoming more popular, as they provide a unique, environmentally friendly option for countertops, flooring, and more. Additionally, energy-efficient options such as low-flow faucets and LED lighting can help reduce your home’s environmental impact and save on utility bills.
There has been a growing trend towards incorporating natural materials like woven cane, clay pots, leather straps, and reeded baskets in home design. These organic elements not only add texture and character but also help create a sense of balance and harmony in living spaces.
Woven cane, a natural material derived from the rattan plant, has been increasingly popular in furniture design. Its lightweight, durable, and versatile nature makes it an excellent choice for chairs, headboards, cabinets, and room dividers. Incorporating woven cane furniture can add a sense of airiness and organic charm to your spaces.
Clay pots and ceramics have been used for centuries to bring warmth and earthiness to interior design. Use them as decorative accents, planters, or even functional kitchenware to introduce a touch of rustic elegance to your home. Handcrafted or artisanal clay pots can also add a unique, one-of-a-kind element to your decor.
Leather straps can be used in various ways to add a natural and sophisticated touch to your home. Consider using leather straps as drawer pulls, cabinet handles, or even shelf supports for a unique and tactile design element. Leather accents can also be used in furniture design, such as seating with leather strap details or leather-wrapped handles on side tables.
Incorporate wood accents throughout your home to complement other natural materials. Opt for reclaimed or sustainably-sourced wood for furniture, flooring, or even accent walls to create a sense of warmth and connection with nature.
Bring the outdoors in by adding indoor plants to your living spaces. Not only do they purify the air and improve well-being, but they also enhance the overall aesthetic by adding a pop of green and a sense of life to your home.
Popular materials for countertops, flooring, and cabinetry
Quartz and natural stone countertops continue to be popular choices for kitchens and bathrooms due to their durability and aesthetic appeal. Engineered wood and luxury vinyl flooring offer the look of hardwood with added durability and water resistance, making them ideal for high-traffic areas. Metal accents and hardware are also trending, with matte black and brass finishes adding a touch of sophistication to any space.
The trend towards rounded and soft corners
In recent years, there has been a noticeable shift in home design towards incorporating curved, rounded, and soft corners in various elements. This trend is a departure from the sharp, angular lines that have dominated modern design for some time, and it brings a sense of fluidity, softness, and warmth to living spaces. From furniture to arched openings and curved backsplashes, the embrace of curves is evident in many aspects of home design.
Furniture pieces with rounded edges and soft corners to create a welcoming and cozy atmosphere. Look for sofas and chairs with curved lines, coffee tables with rounded corners, and even beds with arched headboards. This not only adds visual interest but can also make your living spaces feel more inviting and comfortable.
Consider adding architectural elements with curves, such as arched doorways, windows, and built-in shelving. These features can lend a touch of elegance and sophistication to your home while breaking up the monotony of straight lines.
In the kitchen or bathroom, opt for a curved backsplash design to add visual interest and a sense of flow to the space. This can be achieved with tiles or other materials arranged in a curved pattern or by using a single-piece backsplash with a curved edge.
Light fixtures: Incorporate rounded light fixtures, such as globe pendants, drum chandeliers, or circular flush-mount lights, to enhance the curved aesthetic in your home. These fixtures can provide a harmonious balance with other curved elements in your space.
Kitchen Remodel Trends
Innovative kitchen layouts and designs
Kitchen islands have long been a popular feature in many homes, but in recent years, their role has evolved from being purely aesthetic to a highly functional and versatile component of the kitchen. Multi-functional kitchen islands are now on-trend, serving as additional workspaces, storage solutions, and seating areas, making them a must-have feature for homeowners seeking a practical yet stylish kitchen design.
Here are some ways to incorporate a multi-functional kitchen island into your remodel:
- Additional workspace like a small desk space or integrated cutting board.
- Storage solutions including integrated trash bins, paper towel holders, and integrated knife storage.
- Seating areas integrated other than a bartop like a breakfast nook or a homework station.
- Integrated appliances like built in microwaves and warming drawers.
- Pop-up outlets and charging stations which are handy for charging your tablet while you are using it to read a recipe.
Smart appliances and technology
Smart technology is transforming the way we interact with our kitchens. Wi-Fi-enabled appliances allow for remote control and monitoring, while voice-controlled devices such as Amazon’s Alexa or Google Assistant can help you streamline daily tasks. Touchless devices, such as faucets and trash cans, can improve hygiene and convenience in the kitchen. Additionally, glass panels on appliances that can be replaced with customizable designs are gaining popularity, allowing homeowners to change the look of their kitchen with ease.
Storage solutions and organization
Custom cabinetry and clever storage solutions are essential for a well-organized kitchen. Pull-out drawers, hidden storage, and custom inserts can help you maximize space and keep your kitchen clutter-free.
Quartzite: A rising star in home design
Quartzite, a natural stone formed from sandstone and quartz, has been steadily gaining popularity in home design due to its warmer tones and unique properties. Its beautiful appearance, durability, and low maintenance requirements make it an excellent choice for homeowners seeking a combination of style and practicality.
Quartzite comes in a range of warm, earthy colors, such as beige, gray, white, and even subtle shades of pink or green. These tones make it an ideal choice for homeowners looking to embrace the shift towards warmer, more natural color palettes in their homes. Quartzite’s unique veining patterns and subtle color variations add depth and visual interest to any space.
It is also an incredibly durable material, making it perfect for high-traffic areas and surfaces that see frequent use. It is resistant to scratches, heat, and stains, which makes it an ideal choice for kitchen countertops, bathroom vanities, and even flooring.
Unlike some other natural stones, quartzite requires minimal maintenance. Its non-porous nature means it is less likely to harbor bacteria and absorb liquids, making it a hygienic choice for kitchens and bathrooms. Regular cleaning with mild soap and water is typically all that’s needed to keep quartzite surfaces looking their best.
Each slab of quartzite is unique, featuring distinct veining patterns and color variations. This individuality can add a touch of character and elegance to your home, setting it apart from more uniform materials like engineered quartz.
Quartzite’s natural beauty and durability make it suitable for a variety of applications. In addition to countertops and flooring, consider using quartzite for backsplashes, fireplace surrounds, and even outdoor living spaces for a cohesive and stylish look.
Bathroom Remodel Trends
Homeowners are increasingly seeking to create a luxurious, spa-like experience in their bathrooms. Freestanding bathtubs are a popular choice for creating a focal point and a relaxing atmosphere. Walk-in showers with rain showerheads provide a soothing shower experience, while curbless showers add accessibility and a seamless look to the bathroom.
Freestanding tubs have been making waves in bathroom design in recent years, and this trend shows no signs of slowing down in 2023. These elegant and luxurious bathtubs have become the centerpiece of many modern bathrooms, transforming them into spa-like sanctuaries where homeowners can unwind and relax after a long day. Freestanding tubs come in a variety of styles, materials, and shapes, from traditional clawfoot tubs to sleek, contemporary designs, allowing them to blend seamlessly with any design aesthetic. As homeowners continue to prioritize self-care and relaxation in their living spaces, freestanding tubs will undoubtedly maintain their popularity as a must-have feature in bathroom remodels.
Walk-in showers have become a popular choice for homeowners looking to create a luxurious and functional bathroom space. As we move into 2023, several design trends are emerging that will shape the look and feel of walk-in showers:
- Frameless glass enclosures: Frameless glass shower enclosures are a top trend for walk-in showers in 2023. These enclosures provide a sleek, modern look while also making the bathroom appear larger and more open. They allow natural light to flow through the space and create an uninterrupted sightline, making the shower area appear seamlessly integrated with the rest of the bathroom.
- Large-format tiles: Large-format tiles are gaining popularity for use in walk-in showers, creating a clean and cohesive look with fewer grout lines. These tiles can be made from various materials, including porcelain, ceramic, and natural stone, and are available in a wide range of colors, patterns, and textures to suit any design aesthetic.
- Integrated shower benches: As homeowners prioritize comfort and relaxation in their bathrooms, integrated shower benches are becoming a must-have feature in walk-in showers. These benches can be built into the shower enclosure and made from materials like quartz, marble, or tile, providing a comfortable seating area for users to relax or perform tasks such as shaving or exfoliating.
- Rain showerheads and body sprays: High-end shower fixtures, including rain showerheads and body sprays, continue to be a popular trend in walk-in showers. Rain showerheads deliver a gentle, relaxing shower experience, while body sprays can provide a customized, spa-like experience with adjustable water pressure and temperature.
- Niches and shelves: Storage solutions are an essential aspect of walk-in shower design. Built-in niches and shelves not only provide a convenient place to store shower essentials but also contribute to the overall aesthetic of the space. These storage options can be designed with the same material as the shower walls or contrasting materials for added visual interest.
- Linear drains: Linear drains have become a popular choice for walk-in showers due to their sleek, modern appearance and efficient drainage capabilities. These drains can be placed along one edge of the shower floor or centrally, creating a seamless and unobtrusive look while keeping water contained within the shower area.
- Smart shower technology: Technological advancements continue to make their way into walk-in shower design, with features such as digital temperature controls, app-controlled shower systems, and chromotherapy (color-changing LED lights) becoming increasingly popular. These smart features allow users to personalize their shower experience and enhance the overall functionality of the space.
- Curbless showers: These sleek and modern showers are characterized by their seamless transition from the bathroom floor to the shower area, eliminating the need for a raised threshold or curb. Curbless showers not only create a visually appealing and streamlined aesthetic, but they also offer practical benefits, such as improved accessibility for individuals with mobility challenges or those looking to age in place. In addition, curbless showers provide the flexibility to create an open and spacious shower experience, making them a highly sought-after feature in contemporary bathroom remodels.
These design trends for walk-in showers in 2023 showcase a continued focus on aesthetics, functionality, and sustainability, allowing homeowners to create a luxurious, personalized, and environmentally-conscious space in their bathrooms.
Statement tiles and patterns
Geometric designs, textured, and 3D tiles are making a splash in bathroom design, providing visual interest and depth to the space. These eye-catching patterns can be used as a bold accent on the floor, walls, or shower, helping to create a unique and stylish bathroom.
Smart bathroom technology
Technology is also finding its way into bathrooms, with heated floors and LED mirrors becoming popular additions to bathroom remodels. Heated floors provide comfort on cold mornings, while LED mirrors offer adjustable lighting and a modern look.
Home Office Remodel Trends
Creating a functional and comfortable home office
With remote work becoming more common, a functional and comfortable home office is essential. Ergonomic furniture and design can help prevent strain and discomfort during long workdays, while soundproofing and insulation can create a quiet, focused environment.
Incorporating technology and connectivity
High-speed internet and Wi-Fi solutions are crucial for a productive home office. Integrated charging stations and cable management systems can help you keep your workspace organized and clutter-free.
Smart home systems and automation
Programmable thermostats and home energy monitoring systems can help you manage your home’s energy usage and maintain a comfortable living environment. Smart home systems can also provide added convenience and security, allowing you to control various aspects of your home, such as lighting, temperature, and security systems, remotely through an app or voice commands.
Wrapping it all up
In 2023, home remodel design trends are all about creating functional, comfortable, and stylish spaces that cater to the changing needs of homeowners. From innovative color and material choices to the latest in smart home technology, these trends offer numerous ways to transform your home and make it truly your own.
As you embark on your next remodeling project, consider incorporating some of these top design trends to create a space that’s not only beautiful but also future-proof. And don’t forget to share your remodeling experiences and ideas with others, as collaboration and inspiration can lead to truly remarkable results.