Here are 4 things to consider during a bathroom renovation project
For some, the bathroom is the place to shut out the world and relax. More and more, however, bathrooms are becoming places to be seen and enjoyed. That’s why homeowners are starting bathroom renovation projects.
In this blog post, we’ll run through some of the things you should consider when remodeling your bathroom, and how Superior Stone & Cabinet can help you find everything you need for your bathroom renovation project.
What to consider for your bathroom renovation project
If you are thinking of starting a makeover of your bathroom, here are four things that will help you to ensure that you get the most value out of the bathroom renovation project:
1. Consider the resale value
Obviously, all local and state building codes need to be followed. You’ll want to hire an experienced remodeling company with the tools, experience, and certification to do the job right; the resale value of your home could depend on it!
In terms of resale value, remember that no one loves homes that are “unicorns.” You may love hot pink walls and a countertop embedded with seashells, but if you’re ever planning on re-selling your home, you may want to go with something a bit more mainstream.
Here are two ways to find out what styles are popular:
- You can use local real estate websites to find pictures of neighboring homes that are for sale, and see what they’ve done to upgrade their bathroom. You may find inspiration from their bathroom renovation. Or, check picture-sharing sites like Pinterest.
- Contact the team at Superior Stone & Cabinet, and we’ll provide you with ideas for popular cabinets, countertops, and floors used in our customer’s bathroom projects. Another great idea? Stop by our showroom to see and feel materials and get ideas. We have bathroom models set up for you to look at.
2. Avoid messing with the plumbing if you can
If you want to remain within your budget when tackling a bathroom remodeling project, avoid doing major re-plumbing or re-piping work, if possible. Moving the plumbing around is very expensive and can cost a lot of money. We’ve heard of many homeowners who underestimated the cost of plumbing renovation and had to settle for less expensive counters and cabinets. That’s not ideal.
To remain in budget, focus on ways you can improve your bathroom and make it something you’ll love—all while keeping the tub, shower, sink, and toilet all in the same place.
Of course, that’s not to say that you have to settle for those things, as is! New shower tile from Superior Stone & Cabinet can turn even the most outdated shower into the showpiece of your bathroom renovation.
3. Spruce up the bathroom to add value
Not many people know that there are a lot of simple things that can greatly enhance the look and elegance of the bathroom. Here are a few of the things that add the most value to a bathroom:
- New countertops: Typically, bathroom counters—whether mounted on cabinets or a vanity—don’t have the same square footage as in the kitchen, which makes them an affordable part of your renovation project. Many homeowners opt to put granite in their bathroom for this reason.
- Pendant lighting: Lighting is so important to transforming the drab bathroom of yesteryear into something truly impressive. It’s an inexpensive way to show off everything in your bathroom that you want to be seen.
- Vanity cabinetry: Old, beat-up cabinets don’t belong in an updated bathroom. With hundreds of doors and storage options, Superior Stone & Cabinet can help you find the bathroom cabinets that are right for your project. See styles and color options here.
4. Consider adding a small window in the bathroom
Remember that whole thing about light? A small window in the bathroom can bring in natural light and be a game-changer in the bathroom. You should consider installing a frosted-glass panel that ensures privacy and also provides fresh air.
Make sure that there are stone jambs at the site of the installation that makes the area watertight. In addition, you should ensure that the window sill is sloped away for proper drainage.
Start your bathroom renovation project at Superior Stone & Cabinet
Want more advice and tips for your bathroom project? Or, do you want to see your countertop and cabinet options? Stop by our showroom in Phoenix, Arizona, or give us a call to schedule a free in-home measurement and consultation.